Since 1999, Fasthosts has been designing new ways to give customers everything they need to manage and control their online space and we’ve become one of the leading internet technology businesses in the UK. We’re a team of tech-focus innovators, offering the latest innovations across our range of services including domain names, shared web hosting, business-class email, dedicated & virtual servers, cloud hosting, secure online storage and online backup.
Our software engineering jobs offer exposure to new and exciting technologies in a very rewarding environment, with continuous opportunities to deliver new products and feature sets. We work in a range of products, from Domain Registration to modern Container Hosting and Provisioning systems, and many more.
We use modern development stacks including Git, Docker, Gitlab CICD pipelines, Jira and Confluence. We also use a range of languages, from Golang for configuring our Kubernetes platforms, PHP for our front-end APIs, and VueJS for our new front-ends. We work agile in our software teams, and always strive for high quality software development practices; we invest in our people to keep skills fresh and current.
Fasthosts is a technology company with extremely strong and broad technology competencies and our Development teams are made up of great people! Friendly, supportive and highly knowledgeable across a variety of stacks, they embody a Tech forward mentality and work on a variety of interesting and progressive projects. With daily standups (video or in office), regular chats to support and collaborate, and a leadership team that identifies the value in each individual employee
We are offering a hybrid working model (2/3) to provide the work/life balance that we have all come to appreciate, with the support and equipment to ensure you have everything you need to work effectively.
So what’s the job?
As Development Team Manager you have responsibility for one of the 3 agile development teams that build the product and software systems that power the Fasthosts business. You will collaborate with expert Systems, Networks, Security, and Operations Engineers and work with Architects and technical leaders in the company to continue the evolution of technical best practices and our agile delivery culture.
As part of ongoing modernization of the application estate you will also lead the delivery of software projects on the established architectures (PHP, .Net, Delphi) as well as developing new systems using microservice architectures (PHP laravel microservices, Docker, Kubernetes, OpenShift) with modern best-in-class JAM stack UIs (Vue.js.)
Working in a highly autonomous, multi-disciplined software engineering function and undertaking fast-paced developments across multiple technology platforms, This position would suit an experienced, hands-on Team Leader / Manager with a solid understanding of the software development craft, architecture design, and agile delivery processes looking for the next step in your leadership development.
What about the team?
Your team comprises a core team of software developers as well as dedicated Architecture, QA and UX experts. They develop systems in-line with the overall technology strategy of the company, but with significant freedom to solve problems using the best technologies and tools for the task at hand.
Your team takes full lifecycle ownership and support responsibility for specific products and functional areas of the Fasthosts systems which include:
- Domain Registrations (full stack product systems that manage more than 1,200,000 domain registrations)
- Fasthosts Dedicated Servers and VPS (full stack product systems handling thousands of customer servers)
- Core Business Systems, Reseller Systems & Internal Tools
- Website Builder and eCommerce Solutions
Fasthosts is a technology company with extremely strong and broad technology competencies and our Development teams are made up of trusted, passionate, forward thinking, highly knowledgeable, friendly and all round great people!
Everyone takes ownership of their individual work and learning, while benefitting from a great team spirit where everyone works together to support, collaborate and learn. How do we do this? We have daily standups (video or in office), regular chats to support and collaborate, and importantly a leadership team that identifies the value in what each individual employee brings to the team.
What experience do you need under your belt?
- Strong people management skills, including setting clear goals, objectives and expected behaviours, agreeing on development plans and regularly reviewing performance
- Prior experience in software engineering, including developing systems in many different technologies, and with demonstrable experience across the stack, from front-end to back-end systems
- Experience in leading agile delivery processes (Scrum, Kanban, etc)
- Strong understanding of system design, software architecture, and software engineering standard methodologies, especially well versed in CI/CD
- Strong understanding of what the DevOps and GitOps mentality is about and how it advises ways of working and technical ownership
- Solid understanding of secure coding practises and security considerations for web-facing software/systems
- Excellent communication, presentation and negotiation skills
But what about you?
It’s as much about you as it is about us. We welcome anyone who pushes themselves and wants to be challenged every day. We value what each person brings to the table, from amazing ideas to great work attitudes. That’s why it’s only fair that we give as much as we receive. We offer loads of benefits to support your health (both physical and mental) and your work/life balance. We also encourage individual growth with tailored development plans.
More benefits include (but are by no means limited to):
- 27 days annual leave + bank holidays
- Hybrid working policy
- Contributory pension scheme
- Private healthcare and Life assurance
- Employee assistance programmes
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free parking close to our offices in a vibrant city centre location
- Free soft drinks, fruit and excellent coffee available in our multiple break rooms.
And of course the fun stuff! When you spend so much time with your colleagues we want to make sure you have the benefit of social events, summer and Christmas parties, fitness groups, running teams and so much more.
So, like the sound of working at Fasthosts? We don’t blame you, we think it’s pretty great too! Send us your application and if we think you might fit the bill a member of our recruitment team will be in touch for an initial call to talk about what to expect next.
We can’t wait to hear from you!
As an equal opportunities employer, Fasthosts is committed to the equal treatment of all current and prospective employees and does not condone discrimination on the basis of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, gender identity, or marriage and civil partnership.
We aspire to have a diverse and inclusive workplace and strongly encourage suitably qualified applicants from a wide range of backgrounds to apply and join Fasthosts.